Sunday, February 21, 2016

February 15 Hello From Reno!

Hey everyone! How goes it? I hope you are all safe and sound and not eaten by lions or sharks. Things have been really wacky here lately weather-wise. Yesterday the temperature got up around 65, in February! I was so happy to be able to wear my short sleeved shirt without being cold. But the funny thing was that I was the only one doing it! I've determined that Renoans are 5x as wimpy as Minnesotans, both complain about the cold, but at least the Minnesotans have something to complain about. But I have to be fair to Reno, As soon as the sun goes down, the temperature drops at least 25 degrees. I'm not quite used to the desert climate quite yet.

I've discovered a few peculiar things about Reno. Literally EVERYONE has a dog, every other guy we meet is either named John or Steve (I'm 100% serious about that, it got so bad that when we met a guy on the street the other day and he said his name was John I just about lost it...) and then when we went blessing contacting the other day (basically tracting) only 3 people answered the door, they were all in a row, and they all were on oxygen...

Despite all that I'm having a blast out here in Reno! I got to go to the temple the second week I was out here! In case I didn't say, my trainer's name is Elder Day, and yes every Day is a good Day with him. Even though he's my trainer he just hit his 6 month mark! And I'm not even the first one he's trained! He's super cool and a very dedicated missionary.

Let me tell you more about my first area. I am in the Foothill/South Meadows wards, and in the Reno zone. It's a very wealthy area, a lot of retirees live here, most of them from California (which explains their sensitivity to the cold) but there are also a lot of college aged people here (the most successful area is YSA) they all go to the University of Nevada-Reno. The south meadows ward is huge, Elder Day has been here almost 5 months and he still hardly knows anyone! The Foothill ward however is a lot smaller, but we have one investigator with a baptismal date and we just heard yesterday from one of the priests who has been inviting all his friends to play Church ball on Thursdays that one of those friends now wants to take the lessons! Isn't that awesome?!?!

I seriously love being a missionary! It has already been the best experience of my life! Of course I haven't gone skydiving or into space yet, but let's just take one step at a time now shall we?
I want to challenge all of you to look for the times that God has supported you in your life, it shouldn't be hard, one of the things that I've learned is that there is hardly a moment where He doesn't, if there's any moment at all. As a representative of Jesus Christ I can say that I feel His hand in my life all the time. I have ideas of what to talk about that are my memories, but I know for sure that I didn't think of them, they were given to me by the Holy Spirit.

Remember 2nd Nephi 32:3
"Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ shall tell you all things what you should do."

And no, we don't have ipads…

No comments:

Post a Comment