Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Wonderful Misadventures in Reno, February 22, 2016

Greetings from Not Vegas! I think I'm finally getting the hang of this Mission thing. I figured out how to get pictures here now, some are pretty old, some are kinda fuzzy, but hey! They're here!
January in the MTC

Blurry MTC Picture


I can't believe that it's only been a month that I've been out here, and that's including my time at the mtc. I'm having a wonderful experience out here. The view is gorgeous, but everything's brown... And everyone's Catholic, and then they try to use that as an excuse not to talk to us... HA! but seriously, Catholics are just as common as dog owners here.






I count myself VERY lucky to serve in the area that I'm in my first transfer out here. We have every day except for one filled up on our dinner calendar. The members are SUPER nice. If they don't want to make food for us they take us out to eat. I have to tell y'all about the place this elderly couple took Elder Day and I. It's called Gengis Grill, to put it simply it's basically the Subway of Mongolian stir fry. You get a bowl, put a bunch of raw meat and occasionally veggies in it, pick your poison (spices and sauce), and then set it on the counter and wait. There's a huge metal platter that's easily 15,000,001 degrees. The guy that's working with it takes your bowl, throws everything onto this thing that's hotter that the sun, moves it around with these two big stirring sticks, drips your sauces onto it, and stirs it some more, puts the whole thing on rice, then it's done. The whole process takes about 10-15 minutes, and it was easily the 2nd best restaurant I've ever been to. (Dad, you know which one it didn't beat...) My food tasted really dang good, which is great cuz I didn't know what the heck I was doing. Dragon salt? What's that? it has a flame next to it, so I'll take three! Isn't being a missionary great?

Dang it, now I'm hungry...

Because literally everyone has a dog, one of the most "reliable" methods we find people is just walking on the many paths and hoping we come across someone walking their dog that just might be interested in perhaps giving us a chance... People are great here! They are very supportive of what we do. Just as long as we don't talk to them...Ÿ

Anyway, the guy that one of the super solid priests introduced us to is actually down to take the lessons! Hallelujah!!! More investigators!!! What's more? there were two other guys at the churchball game that wanted to watch and see what these "missionary lessons" are all about! The super solid priest's name is Brayden Stiemle. He alone has given us maybe half our referrals. He's the bishop's son so maybe it isn't so surprising...

I love being out here! Mainly because I can feel the hand of the Lord guiding my words as well as my actions. The Spirit is constantly here with me. I think that alone is making me a better person. I pray every day to have the companionship of the Spirit, And I Actually have it! I think I've learned more about Jesus Christ and God the Father in just the first month on my mission than now my entire life combined. In addition to the companionship of the spirit, like the verse in the book of moroni chapter 7( https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/moro/7?lang=eng ) I've been praying for charity to be able to feel the love that Christ has for the people in my area.

45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail
47But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
 48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.
I've been reading in the book of Mosiah this week. I gained a lot more respect for Abinadi, especially because I could understand the extent that he absolutely wrecks the priests of Noah. But I tried something a little different this time, I knew that Alma was converted, so I tried to read it as he would hear it, he obviously knew his stuff, so to have your practice wrecked by this guy and then get called to repentance. It was a really cool experience reading it from his point of view.
Anyway that's all for this week! I'll let you know if I get mugged by any hobos this week! I love you all!!!
P.s. It's so cool that you're reading the French BoM Marissa! Keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment